Family sees video of Charlotte man's death

Toby Graves
September 23, 2016

The attorney says the family wants to know the truth but worries about the emotional impact if the video is released.

Putney said they have a request from the family of Keith Scott to see video in the moments leading up to the shooting and that they will accommodate that request.

Scott, 43, was fatally shot by police Tuesday as officers were searching for another person.

Police said they did recover a gun.

Two officers were treated after being sprayed with a "chemical agent", police said just after midnight.

This story first appeared in the New York Post. The sound of gunshots can be heard on numerous videos from the site of the demonstration. Police said Scott was armed and no book was found at the scene. He then asked for continued patience with the case.

They raised their hands to signify "don't shoot" and lay down on the ground as if they'd been shot. Officials initially said Wednesday's victim was shot by a civilian, but yesterday Putney acknowledged some claims he was shot by a police officer.

Police allowed Scott's family to view the videos Wednesday but have so far declined to release the footage to the public.

The city's government issued a Tweet saying the curfew is citywide.

The overnight curfew included exceptions for people traveling to work or on other business, the city said. In Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Thursday, prosecutors charged a white officer with manslaughter for killing an unarmed black man on a city street last week. On Thursday he urged protesters to maintain the peace, while still addressing concerns of racial inequality.

Major Gerald Smith of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department told Reuters that police would not enforce the curfew imposed by the city as long as the protests remained peaceful.

Despite demands from the family and community for police to release dashcam and body camera footage to the public, police are resisting such a move.

Putney told reporters the video will be made public when he believes there is a "compelling reason" to do so.

"There must be transparency and the videos must be released", the Rev. William Barber, who sits on the national board of the NAACP, told a news conference. "The question is on the timing".

The City of Charlotte has retracted its earlier statement.

Wednesday's protests began peacefully, the chief said, but about 8 p.m. demonstrators began jumping on cars and damaging property at EpiCentre, an entertainment hub uptown.

Demonstrators are taking to the streets of Charlotte for the third-straight night, protesting the fatal shooting of Keith Lamont Scott at the hands of a police officer Tuesday.

Police say Scott was carrying a gun when he approached officers and ignored repeated orders to drop it. But he added: "When taken in the totality of all the other evidence, it supports what we said".

When Scott was told to get out of his auto, he complied "in a very calm, non-aggressive manner".

Justin Bamberg, one of the lawyers representing the Scott family, said the video shows Mr Scott did not make any aggressive moves towards police.

The lawyers said the video shows Scott walking slowly backward with his hands by his sides when he was shot.

"Police say he came out of the vehicle with a gun".

Other reports by MyHealthBowl

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER